Tuesday 23 February 2016

Culture shock for Westerners when they come to India

What is the greatest Culture shock for Westerners when they arrive in India?


By Megan Kea Spark:

I was really shocked with people, especially men, blatantly staring at me. In my first train ride I was in a compartment in 3AC and the men in my area stared at me for like 3 hours straight! I felt very awkward because in US staring is considered very rude or an act of aggression. I read about it beforehand so i was expecting it, but to experience it felt so weird!! Not sure i ever got used to it during my 6 weeks there.

I also was shocked with all the horn honking, and the general chaos of some of the roads. i live in a small island in hawaii that is very calm and quiet so i felt very overstimulated by all the noise 

I also was culture shocked to see many men defecating in plain sight by the Ganges in Varanas and in fields

I was shocked by poverty although I expected it beforehand, it was still sad to see. 

I was also culture shocked at the hospitality of the families I stayed with. They wouldn't let me pay for anything and they did everything to make me feel comfortable and happy. People in US are not as generous.

I also didn't know what the head wobble was at first. My first day I saw the hotel worker do it, I thought he had a tic or a tweaked neck. Haha!! I love the head wobble :) 

I was shocked at burning trash and making the air pollution worse.

And a bit uncomfortable that I had to change my style of dress to be very modest. I am used to normally wearing shorts and tank tops where I live in Hawaii.

I was culture shocked about many things but I had a wonderful time and made lots of Indian friends.

No comments: